Monday, June 9, 2008

A satisfactory performance - AIMCAT 100919

Haaaa, this was my reaction when i calculated my AIMCAT 100919 score. After the worst, pathetic performance in AIMCAT 100920, a good (Compared to my earlier scores only) socers was needed to boost me up in the preparations. Here is my shot at AIMCAT 100919

I have managed to score 29 Marks in the first section i.e. DI-LR. The section was tough as per the guidelines of TIME. But i never flet so. Because i knew tto clear the cutoff all i need are two sets with at least 95% accuracy. Thats where i hit the bull's eye and got whoppping 100% accuracy in those two sets i choose to solve.
Secondly, i scored 33 in VA, which i belived my strength, but AIMCAT 920 had created dark clouds over my strength. but not this time..I was able to get back on the track. The transition form AIMCAT 920 to AIMCAT 919 involved getting all wrong in RCs in earlier AIMCAT to getting all rights in recent AIMCAT. After the first AIMCAT i had committed to myself to solve at least two RCs everyday, And it paid up guy it paid up !! I got all RCs correct.
One thing i really want to tell, i was getting almost every question wrong in parajumbles but this time i really restrained myself from touching them at first hand. I made sure that i am clearing the cutoff and also scoring nicely then only i went to PJs, but as many people says do not attempt the question unless you are 100% sure, somehow i was not able to control my self from marking these question but this time i did and result is good for me. Indeed i learnt through mistakes.
Third, QA, always termed as my nemesis, but was able to get some sitters this time and solving TIME Practice test bookelts indeed helped me a lot. At least i cleared a cut off which means a lot for me as i was getting less score in QA.
There was a question in QA, question number 85,
The number of integral values K can take , where 2<= K <= 30, such that (K-1)(K-2)...3.2.1 is not divisible by K
--> Ideally one should not get more than 25 seconds to solve this, how ????
Here it is the concept that TIME material taught me.
(K-1)(K-2)...3.2.1, can u call this sequence as K! ?? yes we can
There is a theorem, named williom's theorem, that says (n-1)! +1 is always divisible by n only when n is a PRIME NUMBER. you can apply this concept here.
As you observe there are 10 prime numbers between 2 and 30, now dont make haste to mark the solution as 10 !! , yes solution is not 10, there is one more number 4 which is a composite number that is not divisible by itself if taken a factorial.
So in all there are 11 numbers or 11 values.
If you knew this 20 seconds and 3 marks !! deal isn't that bad ha..
So this makes my over all score = 80
Missed Overall cut off by 4 marks, not baad yaar..
Well, although my score is satisfactory but CAT is all about consistency !! and i will surely raise the bar in next AIMCATs..

So all the best to all fellow aspirants..
Regards,
Ameya

6 comments:

  1. hey there Ameya! Interesting blog u got there.. inspired to see how driven u are !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nyke, thanks for the comment. I am glad to know my blog could catch your interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey..
    I have joined PT in jaipur. WOuld like to know if AIMCAT are really benefecial??
    I am confused if is ould join it as i already have PRAC CAT?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PRAC CATs are good, even i have been there with PT in my first CAT attempt but i would say AIMCAT takers are huge compared to PRAC CAT, so this gives you a chance to compare with more no. of people. Also important thing about PRAC CATs, you will find questions repeating in your mocks from either previous papers or from your study material, this doen not give you the tru picture of your performance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MoneyLIFE, a personal finance magazine is sharply focused on stocks, mutual funds, careers, consumer rights plus enterprise & smart spending.

    With Debashis Basu as the Editor and Publisher and Sucheta Dalal(awarded Padma Shri in 2006), this fortnightly delivers a stellar mix of unbiased, credible, unique & relevant content with sharp analysis.

    MoneyLIFE is an Essential Tool for Learning-Earning-Spending-Investing Cycle which the sensible readers can’t afford to ignore!

    www.moneylife.in

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello ameya! It was so nice to see your spirit in attempting the AIM CAT...I am also writing AIM Cats but am not scoring very well...

    It was fantastic learning a new concept from you which helped you crack a relatively tough question in AIMCAT..
    Please keep make a seprate blog post of all such concepts which you pick up from TIME material ...

    It will really help students like me who fare below average..I always find math section too tough to attempt except for the last AIM CAT wherein I picked some sitter..

    Please keep posting similar posts...I have already marked this webpage as my favorites..

    once again...Thanks for the same...

    Sincere Regards,
    Vishwas

    ReplyDelete